When I think back to the start of each new school year growing up, the aroma of new school supplies and pristine leather shoes comes to mind. Uncertainty countered by excitement. My mom usually took us on two trips to prepare for the new year: one to buy the requisite school supplies and another to the shoe store in the village we lived to acquire a new pair of black or brown shoes (I wore a uniform throughout my early education).
Sebastian is starting Kindergarten this year and for the next almost two decades, back-to-school will again be a very important time in my life filled with the same anticipation and trepidation. Do you remember when Sebastian started nursery school? It feels like just yesterday but now a bus will be coming to take him to school for half the day.
I don’t know for sure what the transition will bring but we’ve been talking a lot about it and now that August is nearing, we got a jump on back-to-school shopping at Target, which has gotten this little Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-obsessed shopper very eager for the new school year. He loved picking out his own supplies from the enormous selection and I of course love the unbeatable value and overall shopping experience. I was even able to kill two birds with one stone and get some grocery shopping done:
The aisles are immaculate and there are just so.many.options. Target researches school lists to be sure they have everything we need on hand. Our local store has a dedicated section for back-to-school in addition to everyday office supply aisles stocked with our favorite brands like Crayola and Post-it.
Not surprisingly, Sebastian chose a ton of Ninja Turtles stuff including a cool backpack (complete with a half shell) and a matching lunch box that says, “booyakasha!” Apparently he’ll will be right on trend (according to my sources at Target):
Top Back-to-School Trends:
- Attachable matching accessories to backpacks and lunch boxes
- Colorful supplies, including notebooks and book covers
- Stylish locker accessories like disco balls and metallic mirrors
- Chevron, plaid, camouflage and peace sign patterns
- Houndstooth, Peace, Camo and Dinosaur Backpacks
- Frog and Panda Lunch Boxes
- Monster, Robot, Owl and Fox Water Bottles
- up&up School Supplies
- Yoobi School Supplies
- Slap Bracelet Rulers
- Magnetic Locker Chandelier
- Shag Locker Rug
- Texas Instruments 30XIIS Scientific Calculators
- Cherokee Varsity Jacket
- Cherokee Moto Jacket
Ways to Save:
Saving money is always on trend!
- Cartwheel: Target will offer back-to-school Cartwheel collections that feature deals on top products. Throughout the season, families can use the digital savings application to choose from hundreds of offers, share them with friends on Facebook, and earn the opportunity to access more deals.
- REDcard Rewards: REDcard holders will receive five percent off nearly all purchases at Target stores and Target.com, free shipping every day at Target.com and 30 extra days for returns. Through Target’s Take Charge of Education program, guests who shop with a REDCard can designate a K-12 school of their choice for Target to donate one percent of their purchases to the school. Since the program’s inception in 1997, Target has donated more than $387 million to approximately 117,000 schools nationwide.
- Price Match Policy: Families can ensure they are getting the best deals with one simple, easy-to-use Price Match Policy that includes matching prices from top online retailers year-round, including Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com and Toysrus.com (including Babiesrus.com).
If you’re shopping before August 2nd, you should also be aware that for every select up&up school supply purchased at Target stores through August 2, Target will donate one school supply item to a student in need. Through these purchases, Target’s goal is to donate up to $25 million in supplies and potentially impact nearly two million kids as they head back to school so be sure to look for the up&up brand!
WIN IT! I’m thrilled to offer (2) $200 Target Gift Cards to two Glamamom readers to get your back-to-school shopping on!
TO ENTER: Please fill out the Rafflecopter entry form below:
We’ll be making another trip to Target in the next couple of weeks to shop for some new duds so stay tuned for deets on what Sebastian picks up and ANOTHER gift card giveaway!