With temperatures starting to heat up, now’s the perfect time to take stock of your hair care, skin care, and makeup routine and see what’s working and what needs to be adjusted for the impending heat and humidity.
Before summer even begins, I start swapping out my heavier moisturizers and night creams for lighter, oil absorbing ones, to ensure my skin has plenty of time to adjust. I also start on a more regular shaving, exfoliating, and self-tanning regimen. While it may seem like a lot on paper, adding a quick step or two in the shower or during my 3-minute morning makeup process isn’t a big deal as long as I have my go-to products.
As part of Glam.com’s Beauty Board, I’ve been using the following summer beauty must-haves for a much-need overhaul:
1. Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 ($27): Bare Escentuals award-winning mineral foundation is the antithesis of heavy liquid foundations. It’s a lightweight mineral powder that you sweep on with a brush for great matte coverage and oil absorption, perfect for humid summers and oily skin.
2. Bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Brush ($14): An affordable companion to the Matte Foundation, this plush, full-tapered brush is the perfect tool for broad, sweeping strokes all over the face. Gotta love a clean new makeup brush for a new season!
3. Bare Escentuals Well-Rested Face and Eye Brighter ($22): Under eye concealer is my number one mom must-have makeup product. A few dabs helps brighten the eyes and revive your complexion. I love the consistency and coverage of this sheer mineral formula containing light-reflecting mineral to even out tone and minimize dark spots and discoloration. No sleep? No problem!
4. Bioelements Oil Control Mattifier ($36): A great summer moisturizer and primer specifically designed for combination, oily, and very oily skin types (like mine). A thin layer absorbs excess oil and provides a matte finish. I like its herbal smell too.
5. Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Face Polish ($24): A delicious exfoliating scrub with tiny purifying beads that cleanse and remove dead skin cells. Super gentle and smells great. A must before self tanning!
6. Kusmi BB Detox Tea ($20): I’m more of a coffee girl myself but I love herbal teas for detox and cleanses. I’ve been drinking this mix of mate, free tea, rooibos, and grapefruit all week and am developing a bit of an obsession. The grapefruit adds the tiniest bit of sweet flavor. Make sure you have access to a powder room, ehem.
7. Schick Hydro Silk Razor ($11): A hard-working, state-of-the-art razor with a Water-Activated Moisturizing Serum & 5 Curve-Sensing blades for a comfortable and accurate shave. I know how hard it is to find time to shave. Let your razor work for you.
8. Alterna Bamboo Beach Summer Ocean Waves Texturizing Spray ($14): Obsessed! I absolutely hate blow drying my hair in the summer but air drying leaves it looking rather limp and frizzy. This spray provides weightless volume and moisture lock for textured, beachy waves. It says you don’t need heat but trust me, run the dryer through for a minute or two and the hold is that much better.
9. St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Dark Bronzing Spray ($40): I’ll be straight with you, spray application isn’t easy to master and can get a bit messy but St. Tropez (and Faux Tan) is as close to professional air brushing as I’ve come. Make sure to have a mitt on hand to blend it in and follow all of the directions! I also love the Bronzing Mousse and find it a bit easier to apply.
Do you have different beauty routine for summer? What are some of your essential products?