Spring is finally here and while the temperature may not yet have gotten the memo, warm weather is on its way!
There are a ton of fun, mom-friendly spring beauty trends fresh off the runways that I'm working on sharing but what's always in style, is healthy hair.
Whether you wear it up or down, long or short, here are 5 tips for healthy hair that will help revitalize your tresses for spring and summer:
1. Seal and Repair Hair Cuticles: Are you overdosing on shampoo? Over shampooing strips hair’s natural oils, drying and weakening hair cuticles. Your hair cuticles are the outermost layer of the hair shaft, and are responsible for locking in moisture. Avoid shampooing every day, don't use too much shampoo at each washing (a small quarter-sized amount will do), and be choosy about your products and their ingredients. If you're noticing dryness, try a pH balanced shampoo (I like Sebamed Everyday) to help revive, close and seal the cuticles.
2. Choose a “Flake-Free” Diet: Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, iron, and protein are the best for a healthy scalp. Since about 3% of the hair shaft is made up of omega-3 fatty acids, they’re vital to keeping you scalp hydrated. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in foods like walnuts, almonds, tuna, and salmon.
3. Tame Frizz: Instead of loading your hair with oily serums and fly-away tamers, try styling with hair tools that produce ionic heat, which is a proven frizz fighter. I use the Rowenta Inspiration Pro Auto Sensor Hair Dryer. It locks in moisture, keeping my hair hydrated and resistant to breakage, which also gives it that salon-quality shine.
4. Promote New Growth, Naturally: When trying to grow out your hair its important to have split ends trimmed. I'm terrible about getting to the salon but every time I do, it's so worth it. It puts the shape back and livens up my tresses. Also, giving yourself a gentle scalp massage for 10 minutes 2-3 times a week in the shower can loosen skin flakes, product residue, and natural oils, and increase blood flow to the scalp to help promote new hair growth. I know, I know, getting a 10 minute shower is a challenge but if you do, work that scalp!
5. Restore Life to Your Hair: Do you color your hair, straighten it a few times a week or use a lot of hair spray? Adding chemicals, applying heat and/or using a lot of products are habits that we all fall into and get hooked on. Unfortunately, like any addiction, they can come with some unwanted side effects. The best way to combat damage from coloring and styling is with hair masks. They work to restore and nourish the scalp which in turn makes hair smoother and appear more youthful. Try Repêchage Hydra-Amino 18 Hair Spa Seaweed Mask or Moisture Healing Mask from Nelson j Beverly Hills (so delicious smelling, I could eat it!). Apply your mask in the shower 1-2 times weekly or leave in longer for a deep treatment. I have oily hair (a good thing I suppose), so I use my masks like a conditioner.
Hope you find these tips helpful and they go a long way to helping you feel more glamorous this spring! If you have any tips that have helped keep your hair healthy and looking its best, please share with us in the comments below!