For the little boy who loves steamies and diesels, it doesn't get much better than strolling the grounds of the Holiday Train Show New York Botanical Garden and marveling at the large-scale model trains and New York landmark replicas.
We attended last year for the first time and knew before the first train even chugged by that it would become a yearly tradition. The exhibit is spectacular, the Conservatory bright and intimate, and the gardens beautifully maintained and easy to lose yourself in.
- December weekends are obviously peak but the show runs until January 13th.
- January 1st to the 13th is the Holiday Train Show with All Aboard with Thomas & Friends (we'll probably head back).
- Avoid lines at the gate by purchasing tickets online and printing them yourself at home.
- Strollers are prohibited in the Conservatory so bring a carrier if you have a wee one.
- There's a cafe catered by Abigail Kirsch or you can pack a picnic.
- Parking costs $12-$15 depending on the lot.
- There's a bit of walking involved to get from some of the parking lots to the grounds, then around the grounds themselves so plan accordingly and bundle up!