Can you believe Independence Day is just a hop, skip, and a Father's Day away?
Fortunately, it's not one of those holidays I stress about since we always spend it at the beach with family and keep it low-key and casual. No gift exchanges, fancy duds, or elaborate meals. Just bathing suits and flip flops, grilled foods, and American flag-everything!
It's one of my favorite holidays because of its simplicity. The day usually starts with a parade, cymbals crashing, and ends with all eyes to the sky admiring the colorful bursts of light fading into the darkness.
Here's a photo recap of last year's Fourth to see how we do it on Long Island.
With the warm weather, parades and fireworks, it doesn't take much to host an all-American Fourth of July party. I personally love our beach barbecue-themed gatherings and they always include the following elements:
- The dress code is casual.
- The menu is simple with light summer salads and grilled meats, served buffet style. Everyone brings a little something.
- The table wear is inexpensive red, white, a blue disposable plates, napkins, and cups to minimize clean-up.
- The day is filled with sports and activities to work up an appetite and keep the boys little ones busy (volleyball is a family fave). There's also always a contingency plan of indoor activities if the weather doesn't cooperate.
- Since it's one of the few times a year we have the entire family together, we take tons of photos including the all-important group shots.
And whether you're hosting the party or just attending as a guest and want to bring something special, my favorite go-to dessert is the Red, White, and Blue Strawberry Shortcake. It's a cinch to bake (especially if you use packaged cake mix like I do) and a real crowd-pleaser. You can also use the excess blueberries and strawberries or raspberries to add to sparkling water and cocktails (another important party element) for a festive flare.
This summer, rediscover the daiquiri. Bacardi Hand Shaken Daiquiri is the perfect addition to any summer get-together — fun, delicious, and ready to pour. Bacardi Hand Shaken Daiquiri is made with Bacardi Superior Rum, tangy lime and sugar. It is a perfectly balanced cocktail that is not too sour and not too sweet. bacardidaiquiri.glam.com.
For the perfect, refreshing Bacardi Hand Shaken Daiquiri:
Step 1: Moisten the rim of a tall glass then dip in sugar to rim the edges
Step 2: Pour over ice
Step 3: Garnish with a lime wedge
Step 4: Enjoy and drink responsibly!
This is a sponsored post and compensation was provided by Bacardi via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are mine and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Bacardi.