If you have kids, summertime usually means lazy afternoons at the playground and frequent visits to the corner ice cream shop. Once I indulge, it’s a slippery slope that is hard to jump off of. French fries? Ok! Pizza? Yes, please! I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl so every so often I find it helpful to hit “reset” on my diet and get things back on a healthy track with a juice cleanse.
The first time I tried a cleanse, I had psyched myself out so badly that all I could think about was guacamole and chips for the entire duration of the three day cleanse. Needless to say, it was hard. I’ve learned to turn my focus to other things I have going on and the time passes much more easily (and quickly). Here are a few tips that have worked for me:
- Clear Your Schedule: there is nothing worse than going to lunch or dinner with friends and being the only one not eating.
- Don’t Overthink It: just do it. I like to dive into my “to do” list that I’ve been avoiding like organizing my closet or sorting the kids toys and donating things they are no longer using.
- Enjoy Nature: it’s not recommended to do any strenuous workouts while you are doing the cleanse so I like to stay active with long walks outdoors.
- Go to Bed Early: I don’t know about you but my ice cream cravings go into high gear around 10:30pm. Finally start that book on your bedside table and head to bed a little early.
- Drink Plenty of Water and Enjoy Herbal Tea: both are allowed on cleanse and will help to fill you up if you are feeling like you can’t go on.
Replacing meals with a juice is definitely a challenge and in no way should you be absolutely miserable while doing it. If you really need to eat, stick with something light and high in water content like watermelon or vegetarian soup. And once you’ve completed your cleanse, it’s a good idea to ease back into eating with light meals so you don’t upset your stomach. Lean protein, soup, fruits, vegetables and whole grains are recommended; now is the time to channel your inner-Gwyneth.
There are many different cleanses available from home delivery to your local gourmet grocery and juice bars are popping up everywhere so they are much more easily available than they used to be. I really like the cleanse at Joni Juice and found the juices to be delicious and surprisingly filling. Each of the three days included six different juices that I spread out throughout the day and you can pick up a few more to share with the kids since they are all natural and only contain real juice, vegetables and natural ingredients.
A juice cleanse is not for everyone but it definitely works for me to get myself in check and jump off the junk food bandwagon. You’d be surprised by how much extra time you have in your day without having to prep meals and clean up afterwards.
NANCY DEANE is a former marketing and lifestyle maven now on her biggest project yet: raising twins in Manhattan. This Canadian via California girl enjoys exploring beauty, fashion, travel and design (for adults and kids alike) and can be followed on Twitter and Instagram as @toastncandy. Read all of Nancy’s posts.