While voyagers once charted the course of their travels by the stars, today’s traveler is far more likely to use GPS. But the stars can still play an advisory role for those with an interest in astrology. We’ve picked summer vacation experiences to suit the personality traits of each sign of the zodiac, so you can follow the stars to the destination of your dreams.
· Aries embraces the heat. As even Scottsdale’s tourism arm readily admits about summer in the Sonoran, “It’s That Hot.” But fire sign Aries can take the heat and is not one to walk away from a challenge. And take a closer look at that photo the ram just Snapchatted with a triple digit temp stamp—isn’t that the iconic infinity-edge pool at Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain Resort & Spa? Why, yes, it is, and thanks to the pool’s status as a “Kid-Free Zone’ on weekends, Aries is at maximum chill. At noon, Aries will swing by jade bar for Mixology 101, a sip-and-see series that highlights innovative cocktail recipes, then slip over to Sanctuary Spa for a Custom Massage or Sanctuary Jewel Facial at a Summer Spa Special rate of just $119 M-Th/$139 Fri-Sat. (regularly $179/$189).
· Taurus heads for the hills. Rich in cultural attractions and natural beauty, The Berkshires is the perfect summer destination for Taurus, who loves both earthy and earthly pleasures. And where better for a dose of both than Seven Hills, a storied seasonal inn turned stylish, year-round boutique hotel? Seven Hills’ newly revealed makeover will appeal to Venus-ruled Taurus’ eye for beauty. And its Lenox, Mass. location is convenient to a host of outdoor events—the Solid Sound Festival at MASS MoCA, Berkshires Arts Festival and Tanglewood Music Center’s legendary summer concert series, to name just a few—plus endless hills to climb, trails to ride, and rivers to raft.
· Gemini is on the go. Not content to kick back, Gemini wants to see it all, particularly when exploring an attraction-rich destination like Ireland. CIE Tours International’s Private Driver experiences combine the advantages of touring with a company backed by 87 years of expertise in Irish tourism with the freedom of a chauffeured private tour. Gemini travelers can set their own pace and craft an itinerary from scratch or start with suggested itineraries like the 11-day Most Popular Drives. Not ready to bid farewell to the Seven Kingdoms? Game of Thrones sites include Dark Hedges, Haunted Forest, Winterfell, and a visit to the movie set to don authentic GoT costumes for an archery lesson by “Jon Snow.”
· Cancer connects with family. For water-loving, family-oriented Cancer, it doesn’t get better than a beach vacation with the kids. Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island is an oceanfront oasis for family vacationers, with condo-style suites that serve as a happy home-away-from home for the domestic crab, complete with full kitchen, private balcony and in-suite washer and dryer. Look—there’s Cancer at the grotto-style Lagoon Pool documenting every splash as the kids romp by the two-story waterfall and water slide (and later enjoy a Dive-In movie). But when Cancer and partner crave a little time for two, the heart-driven water sign won’t hesitate to drop off junior at The Kids Club for supervised fun from sand art to bodyboard lessons.
· Leo is Broadway bound. Enchanted by the culture and sophistication of the big city, theatrical Leo loves the lights of Broadway. Enter Sofitel New York, The Official Hotel Partner for the 73rd annual Tony Awards, and its show-stoppingTony Awards Suite. Available through Sept. 4, this singular suite with a private terrace is a veritable treasure trove of Tony-themed memorabilia and amenities for Leo to roar about: a Tony Awards songbook, scripts from award-winning plays, photos from famous opening numbers, programs, Playbills and a video loop of footage from this season’s top musicals and plays. Embroidered pillowcases, bathrobes and towels, and a 1996 Tony poster by Frank "Fraver" Verlizzo, personalize the experience. Rates start at $2,000 per night.
· Virgo hits the greens. Virgo’s calm nature and sharp, strategic mind are a natural match for golf, and there’s no better place for a bucket-list round than Pebble Beach Resorts. This year marks two milestones for the world-renowned resort: Pebble Beach’s 100 anniversary coincides with its sixth hosting of the U.S. Open this June. This fortuitous alignment has not gone unnoticed by Virgo, nor has Pebble Beach Resorts’ Centennial Stay & Play Package, which features a three-night stay plus one round of golf on each of the resort’s three courses through Aug. 31. The earth sign’s golf bag is packed and ready to go.
· Libra revels in the open air. Drawn to beautiful people and places, Libra will find a perfect getaway just minutes from Manhattan in N.Y.’s culture-rich Westchester County. Westchester’s thriving arts scene explodes each summer with al frescoconcerts, festivals and more. Caramoor Center for Music & the Arts offers a jam-packed schedule of classical, jazz, roots and opera through July, plus beautiful grounds for a pre-concert picnic. And July 13’s Pleasantville Music Festival showcases talent from Everclear to Soul Asylum and Aimee Mann.
· Scorpio rocks a challenge. Tucked into the spectacular terrain of the Adirondack High Peaks, the all-suite Whiteface Lodge in the two-time Olympic host town of Lake Placid, N.Y. is heaven on earth for thrill-seeking Scorpio. Ausable Chasm and other nearby natural features feed the scorpion’s appetite for extreme physical challenge from rock climbing and caving to mountain biking, while a solo hike affords much-needed alone time. The seasoned Scorpio hiker can set out to hike up the 5 high peak of New York State, with views of Vermont’s Green Mountains (and bragging rights) as their reward. An Alpine Athlete series at the resort’s award-winning spa helps Scorpio recover, regroup and rejuvenate like an Olympian.
· Sagittarius flies high. Jet-setting Sagittarius can access more international beach destinations than ever this summer, with new Lufthansa service from Austin—the airline’s third Texas gateway—to its Frankfurt hub. From there, the archer can connect to Lufthansa’s newest summer destinations of Heraklion, Bodrum and Tivat for a fix of sea, sand and buzzing nightlife. The airline also offers new service from its Munich hub to the popular European holiday resorts of Alicante, Biarritz, Rimini and Rijeka—gateway to the Croatian Islands.
· Capricorn scores a bargain. Practical Capricorn loves to save and has the patience to parse through racks in the quest for a great find. So,JillJill what could be better than a road trip to Unclaimed Baggage Center? This once-in-a-lifetime retail experience spans 40,000 sq. ft. of lost items airlines have not been able to reunite with their former owners, from clothing to musical instruments to electronics—all well below retail prices. Its Scottsboro, Ala. location is close to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Cathedral Caverns State Park and Lake Guntersville State Park—perfect side stops for this nature-loving Earth sign.
· Aquarius goes air-borne. In the epic romance between Aquarians and travel, Brussels Airlines had the water-bearer at “boutique hotel in the sky.” Born with a need to roam and an appreciation for the finer things in life, Aquarius will fall hard for Brussels Airlines’ new long-haul A330 aircraft, retrofitted with three highly differentiated classes that deliver the personalized experience travelers find in a boutique hotel and a dose of classic Belgian hospitality. The new cabin features wood and leather interiors by JPA Design, meals by a star chef and a self-service bar with Belgian beer and wine, coffee and Belgian chocolates.
· Pisces loves the beach. Proximity to beaches and boats is the first thing water-craving Pisces appreciates about Harbor View Hotel, a newly transformed, 128-year-old Martha’s Vineyard icon (and oh those wrap-around harbor views from the stylish Bettini restaurant!). A close second is the painstaking attention to detail that has gone into the beloved hotel’s $15-million, top-to-bottom renovation, just unveiled May 1. Having taken to Harbor View like, well, a fish to water, Pisces is planning a return trip with partner for a bit of Island Romance. We predict they’ll get along swimmingly.